Keldorns fear.

Discuss approaches to role-playing, character development, and the portrayal of the various races, classes, alignments, and ability scores.

Moderator: Vast Dungeon Masters

Keldorns fear.

Postby AtraAngelis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Ok folks i have a RP question that i want to make sure i play correctly. Please allow me to ramble as i am trying to figure it out myself..

As we know (well those who know keldorn) as much as a bluster and spit he kicks around, he truly has an aversion to undead. "They ain't Right.."

I have always RPed him this way from inception, even actively avoiding undead places, not saying he has not been dragged along to them with the lure of a fresh tankard of ale..

Usually hes good for one encounter.. if they show up he helps out ,,but once there ain't no more.. "WE OUT!... Nope.. aint going further.. Them deaders ahead.. NOPE!!!. LET GO OF MY BEARD!..."

In this instance a series of events will take place taking those involved to a place where humans and undead walk together and Keldorn knows this.

AS much as he considers those about him his friends and companions , refusing to go , would that be against Clangeddins ways? As a Dwarf? IS it lack of courage or something else?

Don't get me wrong, Many have seen him barrel headlong into a pair of giants with a shit eating grin on his face and his axe high! but a skeleton.. WHoa hold up.. ya cant kill whats already dead...

Just looking for thoughts.
Last edited by AtraAngelis on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keldorn Battlehammer (DW Fighter)
Lucias Cuthbert (HU Cleric)
SHen Ju (HU Monk)
AtraAngelis
Yosemite Sam

Re: Keldorns fear.

Postby Algernon's Ghost » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

I like that about him. No too many people will play a character's "flaws".

Dwarves have special training against their racial enemies like orcs, goblins, and giants. Undead isn't one of those. Keldorn's fear isn't crippling, as he's fought undead many times, but they sure to give him the super-willies.

I wouldn't call it a lack of courage. Someone who has a serious fear of heights isn't lacking courage, there is something else going on.

Maybe one day he'll conquer that fear in the name of Clangeddin, but then, maybe he won't. I'd say just follow what feels right for him, listen and let him tell you what to do.

My two cents.
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Algernon's Ghost
Wicked Lich of the Midwest

Postby Thorned Rose » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 pm

If I may toss a couple cents in the jar...

On an IC level, Keldorn has mentioned his aversion to the undead to Julisette, and she doesn't think any less of him for that. It doesn't seem like cowardice to her, in fact, it seems just the opposite: he's brave enough to say this isn't his thing. Anyone who's gone out with Keldorn and watched him bash big baddies knows that he doesn't have a lack of courage!

It can be awful easy to craft characters without flaws or weaknesses, but it is the supposed flaws and weaknesses that make characters interesting. Perfection is boring! He's not perfect, but he is real, and unique, and if I had a dollar for every time Keldorn cracked Julisette up (and her player!), well, I'd be writing this from somewhere warmer and sunnier with a top shelf gin in my hand. :)

In short, my hat's off to you, Keldorn is awesome, and hey, you know, someone has to guard the ale while crazy folks are out doing crazy things!
Thorned Rose
Julisette Morena - druidess and wine aficianado
Thorned Rose
Lady Dirt

Postby Thorned Rose » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 pm

AG said: I'd say just follow what feels right for him, listen and let him tell you what to do.

[/babble] ...let me add, too, that AG has given me this advice regarding Julisette on more than one occasion, and while I've grumbled about Juli's choices sometimes, when I look back, I don't regret having let her decide - but I have regretted forcing my will upon her. Sometimes player desires and character can come into conflict, and that sucks, but at the end of the day, for myself, I'd rather the character be true to her/himself. Your mileage may vary, though! Do what -you- gotta do![/endbabble]

(*...tosses in the scuffed penny I found in the driveway...*)
Thorned Rose
Julisette Morena - druidess and wine aficianado
Thorned Rose
Lady Dirt

Postby TheOneBc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 pm

I whole heartedly agree with what both have said here.. it is in the imperfections of the char and the stories behind them or motivation to overcome them that i find most interesting.
from an ic POV. Quinn would NEVER consider Keldorn at all in the least cowardice. Everyone has their own demons to overcome. (Quinn himself has an aversion to spiders and an uneasey feeling twards the undead as well,which i must confess I probablly Dont play up enough.) Showing different levels of fear in a char i think is a pretty good skill,one that you have pretty well accomplished IMHOP.

As it pertains to Clandeggin I am sorry to say I don't know much about the belifs of the dwarves so i cannot advise on how to interpret that. :/ but it sounds like ag covered that pretty well....

"Dwarves have special training against their racial enemies like orcs, goblins, and giants. Undead isn't one of those. Keldorn's fear isn't crippling, as he's fought undead many times, but they sure to give him the super-willies"

in short .. i wouldnt change a thing.. unless that is the story YOU want to write for Keldorn.. then by all means Write away! :)
TheOneBc

Postby AtraAngelis » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 am

THanks for all the feedback,
AS a player "Yea lets go!" but as

AG said, Kel will decide.
Keldorn Battlehammer (DW Fighter)
Lucias Cuthbert (HU Cleric)
SHen Ju (HU Monk)
AtraAngelis
Yosemite Sam

Postby archimedes 13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm

All the above being very true, I imagine there are circumstances that would force him to really test himself in this regard. If the Lich in the Sunken Cemetery were summoning power and forces to take over the Landing by force, I could see Keldorn agreeing to march on the lich, even if that situation would be a complete manifestation of his fears.

People have all sorts of fears - both mundane and profound. Much of the time we can avoid them (or skirt by them). But there are moments where we're forced to confront them (even if by confronting them we still don't deal with or "solve" them). In an RP scenario, it seems that could be an area for a lot of growth (no matter what the ultimate decision is).

I also want to echo that I truly enjoy your portrayal of Keldorn's fears. It creates an delightful dynamism in the character (and the surrounding world). And upon re-reading the comments above; I suppose I'm not saying much different than anyone else. I agree with the overall sentiment - "let Keldorn decide"
archimedes 13
Matyas DeLac
Your fourfold duties are to faith, family, masters, and all good being of Faerun.
archimedes 13

Return to Role-Players' Corner