To any previous players and DMs in those years gone by, hello.
I have been thinking about NWN, and the years of life that Taraxa and I dedicated to building, maintaining, and running the server; I have also been thinking about all of the great players and DMs who joined along the way to create stories and have some adventures together. They were good times. Thank you to everyone who got involved!
Obviously, the server has been gone for a long time now - it went offline in 2015, after all. Over the past couple years I have thought more and more about it, and missed it, which finally led me to buying back the domain name, and restoring the website along with the forums. I suspect there are some "recent" posts that are missing because the newest backup save of the forum database was from June 24, 2014.
If anyone is interested, I am currently looking into getting the server back up and running - even if it only ends up just being a place for me to wander around - so please let me know here if you are. There is a lot to catch up on with NWN EE, and the HAKs involved would have to be brought up to date with current versions (particularly CEP and Project Q); honestly, it is a daunting task, and I am incredibly rusty with all of it.
If you remember my old email address, it has been reactivated with the restoration of the website, so you can reach me there if you want to get in touch. I've also made this forwarding address you can use to reach out: heythere (at) nwnthevast (dot) net.
On a personal note, my last fifteen years has included a number of major family deaths, including the loss of Taraxa in 2018 to cancer. She put a lot of herself, her personality, and her creativity into the module, and as a DM. I just wanted to say thank you to her for being who she was, and for our twenty-eight years together - I miss you, love.
Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
Moderator: Vast Dungeon Masters
-
Algernon's Ghost
- Wicked Lich of the Midwest
- Posts: 2878
- Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:26 pm
- Contact:
Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
-
Algernon's Ghost
- Wicked Lich of the Midwest
- Posts: 2878
- Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
I got the server/module up and running on its old HP desktop that we were using as a server during its later years. I found a whole large region north of the Mhyrrwood Glades that I forgot I had built sometime after converting over to using HAKs. It's kind of funny to be wandering around and discover edge transitions where you don't expect them, and end up in a large, multi-area grid to find yourself wondering where the heck you are.
If you, by chance, still have the versions of CEP and ProjectQ that we were using for the module, then you should be able to actually log into it. The specific HAK package with our custom mods and such appears to still be available to download off the website (you will need that too). I'll have to remember how the security system works with CD keys tied to player accounts; I imagine some of you old players may no longer have your original installations and keys.
If you, by chance, still have the versions of CEP and ProjectQ that we were using for the module, then you should be able to actually log into it. The specific HAK package with our custom mods and such appears to still be available to download off the website (you will need that too). I'll have to remember how the security system works with CD keys tied to player accounts; I imagine some of you old players may no longer have your original installations and keys.
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
-
Algernon's Ghost
- Wicked Lich of the Midwest
- Posts: 2878
- Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
The old module of The Vast is online again. For now it is on every day, but not the entire day, just afternoons to midnight or so Eastern US time. I have to sort out a good location to put the server, as the modem and router are in an inconvenient spot to park a large tower PC.
The Vast is now running under Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (by Beamdog), you will need that version of the game to play on the server. It is available on Gog, Steam, etc. for purchase. I got it on sale in the past week for $8 on GoG; I did a full download to my PC rather than use GoG's Galaxy installer program.
Your “hak” and “tlk” folders along with all of your other player access folders are now stored in a separate location from where you installed NWN:EE.
As an example, on windows the default path location is:
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
If you’re using OneDrive, it is probably something like this:
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\OneDrive\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
You'll need to download the HAKs, of course. The info is on the website. At some point the server will need to be updated to never versions of some of the HAKs, such as CEP, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon; there is too much other stuff to do (and remember/relearn) with the module as it stands now.
The Vast is now running under Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (by Beamdog), you will need that version of the game to play on the server. It is available on Gog, Steam, etc. for purchase. I got it on sale in the past week for $8 on GoG; I did a full download to my PC rather than use GoG's Galaxy installer program.
Your “hak” and “tlk” folders along with all of your other player access folders are now stored in a separate location from where you installed NWN:EE.
As an example, on windows the default path location is:
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
If you’re using OneDrive, it is probably something like this:
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\OneDrive\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
You'll need to download the HAKs, of course. The info is on the website. At some point the server will need to be updated to never versions of some of the HAKs, such as CEP, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon; there is too much other stuff to do (and remember/relearn) with the module as it stands now.
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
-
Algernon's Ghost
- Wicked Lich of the Midwest
- Posts: 2878
- Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
Ye olde server of The Vast is now online 24/7.
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
-
Algernon's Ghost
- Wicked Lich of the Midwest
- Posts: 2878
- Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: Hey... is there anybody out there? (contact info included below)
I you have lost your password or don't remember the email address you used here for the forum, and aren't having any luck recovering it, then you can email me at: heythere (at) nwnthevast (dot) net
If you want to make an account on the forum, for now you will have to join the server and message me there so I can open registration for you. When you register, you account name on the forum should your player name on the server. If you have multiple player names, then you can just pick one, or make multiple forum IDs if you want to post separately for each ID.
If you want to make an account on the forum, for now you will have to join the server and message me there so I can open registration for you. When you register, you account name on the forum should your player name on the server. If you have multiple player names, then you can just pick one, or make multiple forum IDs if you want to post separately for each ID.
Please see http://www.nwnthevast.net for server information, guidelines, rules, and lore.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin